With freedom as one of my highest values, I invite you to having your beliefs – though I do pray it comes with kindness & truth. This is my platform and I will not hold back in sharing my heart and voice. Regardless of where you stand on the spectrum of politics, I hope you’ll remain informed, have a perspective of anti-racism, justice & equity AND take really good care of yourself during these challenging times.
Last week’s disturbing invasion on the white house has left me thinking a lot …
I’m thinking about how a group of primarily white males felt they could arrogantly storm the nations capitol – instigating violence, risking lives, and causing deaths.
I’m thinking about how a leader, let alone a president of a country, could encourage such hate, violence & vandalism.
I’m thinking about my Jewish identifying friends & family and how we feel seeing the insurrectionists carrying swastika flags and shirts with “Camp Auschwitz Staff” on it.
I’m thinking about the overt difference between the police response of the white supremacist group invading the white house versus a peaceful Black Lives Matter protest.
I’m thinking about Black & Brown, Indigineous and People of Color and how they feel as they hear the remarks, “this is not American.”
These thoughts have my heart hurting, body aching & mind worrying.
You too, friend?
Sadly, we all know that right now it is not just the storming of the capital that has so many of us unsettled, anxious and heart-broken. We can literally pick from any of the following – the pandemic, social injustice, climate crisis, economic inequality, polarization, isolation, and so on and so on.
With times like these it is IMPERATIVE that we tend to ourselves. That we self-soothe and self-care. That we don’t let a day go by without implementing something to make ourselves feel nourished, supported and resourced. They we do all we can to be at home in ourselves.
Self-care is also one of my highest values. And while I have my regular regimen, I couldn’t help get curious what others are up to. So, I reached out to some of my most badass friends and asked them, “What are you doing regularly to take care of your Self during these unsettling times.”
Their responses, inspiring. And, hopefully, helpful as new ideas to you, as they are to me. Here are what some of my most respected friends are doing to take care of themselves right now …
- Reading & listening to positive messaging
- Eating nourishing foods
- Hugging my children
- Allowing myself to not know
- Raw ceremonial cacao
- New and full moon circle rituals
- Relaxing in an infra-red sauna
- Using psilocybin
- Birthing my soul service work
- Watching light Netflix series
- Being as comfy as can be in pj’s every day
- Staying positive and clear on my vision for a better world 🌎
- Hiking everyday, rain or shine
- Enjoying my poly-secure online deep-dive
- Taking my dog on an adventure every other week, finding new places to explore and looking for wildlife
- Limiting myself to 10 mins of news daily (no images)
- Listening to LOTS of Bossa Nova💃🏻
- Swimming in the ocean at sunset
- Taking Lion’s Mane which is helpful for my nervous system
- Spending time with my animals
- Sitting in silence, outdoors if possible
- Exercising and strengthening
- Limiting sugar
- Dancing daily
- Taking walks – day & night
- Going to therapy
- Being with the emotions that come up, not distracting
- Watching Colbert and Seth Meyers for a comic relief valve
- Practicing a lot of acceptance
- Lighting a fire in my fireplace every night
- Staying close to my programs & recovery
- Being in community with “my people” – those who think, feel, experience life the way I do
- Thinking about how I can be in action
What about you? How are you doing? How are you tending to yourself during these ever-changing, challenging times?
I’d love to hear from you! A warm invitation to leave a comment below and let me know how you’re holding up, and what YOU are doing to take good care or yourself. We need each other, and it will be good to hear from you!